Thursday, June 19, 2008

Jessica Marie, a tribute

I walked into Mr. Henderson’s 10th grade American History Class with a feeling of excitement. I was entering into my 3rd year at Faith Christian School, hoping that the year would be more spectacular the previous two. I remember the first time I laid eyes on Jessica. She sat there with her black eye liner, black hair, and ball-chain necklace. Everyone flocked to Jessica because of her mysteriousness, her exotic-ness. She was from Texas, which was like a whole other world to us North Carolinians. She didn’t fit the typical Texan stereotype…no cowboy boots or hat, no twangy accent, no love for the country music. She was tall and skinny, and very unique.

The first few weeks of the year we really didn’t talk much. We had several classes together, but really never bonded. That is, until that one weekend where our lives changed forever.

Our chorus was singing at my church at a fall festival. The whole group loved going out and singing at other venues, and we were all really geared up about this concert. That night we sang out hearts out and gave a great performance. Afterwards most of the group hung out at the festival, and Jessica began what I like to call our random-dance-a-thon. We started cutting up and dancing and laughing and just having a great time. I looked at Jessica and asked her if she would like to spend the night at my house, and she agreed. (On a side note, her mother also pulled me aside that night with tears in her eyes, saying that it was the first time Jessica had actually looked happy in a long time). That weekend began a nonstop two-month party with Jessica and I. Every weekend we stayed at her house or mine, having fun, vandalizing the golf course, dancing, playing games.

In the years that followed we have shared our ups and down, our joy and hurts. I held her hand during nasty breakups. She held my hand when my mom told me she was getting re-married. I held her hand when her Pepaw died. She held my hand when I made the decision to move in with my mom. I held her hand when she got sick at ECU. She held my hand when I got married. I held her hand when she got married.

She held my hand after my husband died.

So today I wanted to celebrate the beauty, joy, humor, loyalty, grace, and overall awesomeness that is my Jessica. She has been a constant source of support and love through these ten years we’ve been together. My dad once looked at me and said “Sarah, Jessica is the one for you…the one friend that you will have for the rest of your life no matter what” and as we venture into each new season I am learning the validity of that statement. Jess, I am so proud of you and the woman you have become. I am proud of you marrying Lee and becoming a wonderful wife. I am proud of you for sticking it out at your job. I am proud of you for getting into nursing school. But most of all I am proud of you for being one of the best friends I’ve ever had. I love you Jursh.

posted by Sarah W @ 2:45 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home